Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Ancient Halls, Learned Walls





  This is a famous Renaissance fresco called, "The School of Athens," by Raphael.  It can be seen in the Vatican in Rome. In this painting, every great scientific thinker or philosopher from the age of Antiquity is represented.

   I shared this with my science class to represent what I took from our first readings.  The most important theme from our chapters is that scientific study is a result of collaboration with others.  We construct our knowledge not only with people around us, but with people across time.

   This is a crowded room of thinkers, and none of them kept their ideas to themselves. The fresco seems to burst with life.  You can almost hear the buzz of conversation as the greatest thinkers of the ancient world discuss their thoughts.  Science and learning has been a social experience from the very beginning.

   To me, this picture represents mankind's greatest endeavor-- to learn about the world around us, and to pass that knowledge on to the coming generations.  It makes me think about how far we have come, and how far we still have yet to go.

4 comments:

  1. LOVED this picture! :-) And your reflection. I am going to have to get this in a giant poster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree with Dr. Kat... It truly is a great representation of the importance, power, and natural inclination for discovery and collaboration. My favorite part of your reflection, I think Holly mentioned it in class, is how you are sure to point out the representation of people across time. Science is a living organism and will evolve and change as time progresses. Everything we've discovered in the past and the things we have yet to discover are all dependent on this "across time" relationship.

      I would like a copy of this print as well for my own classroom one day.

      Delete
  3. I love this Rebecca! Its fun to see how each of shares our illustrations in lit circles, and how they reflect our previous knowledge. I was curious to learn about each figure in the painting. I haven't gone through them all yet, but I can't wait to. I thought Diagones of Sinope and his ideas on cynicism were interesting. I like the little story about his encounter with Alexander in this article.
    http://jackiewhiting.net/ArtHist/SchlAthns.htm

    ReplyDelete